We went all out with our new Croque Monsieur; it's a triple cheese threat made with Fontina in the sandwich, Parmesan in the bechamel sauce, and grated Gruyere on top.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time20 min
- Yield4 Sandwiches
- Serving Size4 Person
For Croque Monsieur
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fig jam
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces sliced ham
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere
- Coarse salt
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 slices best-quality white bread
- 8 ounces fontina, thinly sliced
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for brushing
- Parmesan Bechamel
Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in bottom third. Blanch broccoli rabe in batches in a pot of salted boiling water until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Season with salt. Let cool slightly, then finely chop.
For each sandwich, spread 2 teaspoons jam on one bread slice and 1 teaspoon mustard on another. Layer one slice with cheese, broccoli rabe, and ham, dividing evenly. Close sandwich; brush each side with butter.
Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet, top with 2 tablespoons bechamel and 1/4 cup grated Gruyere. Broil until golden brown and bubbling, about 10 minutes.